Giving Back: It's Part of Who We Are
As a socially-minded company, ALTOUR gives back to the world in unique and meaningful ways. We are very proud to be a part of the following philanthropic programs.
“At ALTOUR, we have built a company around compassionate people who have a desire to give back.” - ALEXANDRE CHEMLA, PRESIDENT
- Through its ALTOUR Goes Green initiative, ALTOUR supports charitable organizations working to combat climate change and otherwise improve the environment. As part of a sustainable development effort in Africa, and in recognition of the miles flown by its clients, ALTOUR contributed funds to the Green Belt Foundation to plant a small forest.
- ALTOUR offered a matching gift donation to The Nature Conservancy, a leading conservation organization working around the world to protect ecologically important lands and waters for nature and people.
Cancer Research and Care
- ALTOUR is a travel sponsor for Team Continuum, a non-profit organization raising money through the support of 800+ athletes traveling the world to run marathons. The marathon cities include London, Berlin, Boston, Chicago and New York. Team Continuum provides non-medical assistance to cancer patients and their families when the diagnosis has resulted in disruption, hardship and uncertainty in their everyday lives. They also provide funding to health care facilities and foundations to enhance the delivery of care, communication and educational services for cancer patients.
- ALTOUR is a regular contributor to the Pediatric Oncology department of the Sheba Medical Center, a leading treatment center for children with cancer.
Education and Humanitarian Efforts
- ALTOUR provided the travel for gifted students from the Bronx Academy of Letters who had earned leadership and service-based opportunities, to international destinations such as Hong Kong, Peru, Columbia and Spain.
- ALTOUR sponsored the travel of students from Bard College to explore museums and cultural institutions in Germany. ALTOUR also serves on the Board of Directors of the Bard Museum.
- ALTOUR sponsored the Bal des Berceaux, an annual auction by the French-American Aid for Children, providing financial aid to institutions, helping disadvantaged children with education, medical treatment, activities and opportunities for advancement.
- ALTOUR contributed to the French organization “The French Will Never Forget”, which dedicated itself to laying a red rose on each and every one of the 60,511 graves and 11 Missing In Action monuments of Americans fallen in France during World Wars I & II.
- ALTOUR has responded quickly and generously to modern day disaster relief efforts. In 2005, ALTOUR conducted a charitable matching campaign to raise significant donations for the victims of Hurricane Katrina.
- ALTOUR conducted a second matching campaign to provide much needed aid to the victims of the Tsunamis in 2005.
- ALTOUR employees joined together and raised more than $22,000 for Save the Children in 2010, in response to the catastrophic earthquake in Haiti. President and Founder Alexandre Chemla matched all funds the employees contributed. This money helped provide urgently needed medical attention, safe drinking water and other necessities for the children and families affected by the earthquake.
- ALTOUR is a Presenting Sponsor of the Hamptons International Film Festival, one of the top 10 film festivals in the United States.
- ALTOUR is proud to be a part of the GI Film Festival in Washington D.C., the first film festival in the nation to exclusively celebrate the successes and sacrifices of the American military through the medium of film.
- ALTOUR is a co-sponsor of the In French with English Subtitles! festival, a non-profit event to achieve a friendly gathering around French cinema. All sales proceeds of the French film festival are donated to l’Entraide Française, a not-for-profit organization assisting French citizens residing in the United States who experience serious and unforeseeable circumstances.
- ALTOUR regularly contributes to the visual and performing arts by supporting cultural institutions such as the Guggenheim Museum, The Museum of Modern Art, The Metropolitan Museum of Art, the Ballet Theatre Fund, New Museum Contemporary Art and the Whitney Museum of American Art, among many others.
French American Chamber of Commerce. New York Chapter. Board Member. The FACC encourages trade relations between France and the United States and promotes the development of its member companies. Member of the Business Events Committee.
French Institute Alliance Française. Member, Board of Trustees since 2003. The FIAF promotes and enhances the knowledge and appreciation of French and Francophone culture, and to encourage interaction among French, Francophone and American people through programs in education and the arts. The FIAF has become one of the largest and most respected centers of French-American activities in the United States. As a member of the Board of Trustees, Alexandre has helped raise over 15 Million dollars for the renovation and expansion of their property.
French Foreign Trade Advisors (CCEs). Board Member. The CCEs possess unique international business experience and their board members are appointed by the French Prime Minister for a renewable three year period. For more than a hundred years, this network of private business people has shared on a voluntary basis the experience of its members in providing government with their recommendations, in sponsoring small and medium-sized companies in their international expansion, and in educating and informing young people about international trade careers.
French-American Aid for Children. Honorary Member since July 2004: Provides help to underprivileged children in the United States and abroad.
Honored by the French Tourism Office with the Gold Medal for Tourism in 2004.